Wednesday, January 09, 2008

Here's Lookin at You Kid

Ever notice how every relationship you've ever been in has pet names?

Some are traditional - baby, sweetie, darling, honey, sweetheart... etc.

Some are a little more complicated - sugar plum, baby girl, schnookums, shugie bear, mclovin, googlybear, snuggle muffin... whatever.

Most of them, I can get on board. I can handle the traditional obviously easier than the more complicated, but either is acceptable in most situations. Clearly these names are private or among close friends, and shouldn't be shared in professional or networking situations. Fortunately, I have never dated a guy to make that faux pas, but I thought I'd mention it for the studious gentlemen who may read this and need a clue or two for appropriate nickname usage.

Unfortunately, I have dated a guy who used a nickname that is not acceptable. This may be nitpicky, but do not ever ever ever call a girl kiddo.

"Hey kiddo, you should come over."

"Well hey there kiddo, what are you doing right now?"

"Oh kiddo."

I can get on board with most names, but not kiddo. I'm not eight. And I don't want people thinking I'm dating a perv. As far as I know, you're not one, but calling me kiddo sends the exact opposite message. Not to mention there are times when it is just effing awkward.

Lesson today: Don't call girlfriends a nickname than can only be described as creepy.

2 comments:

RGB said...

Also, don't call your significant other a nickname that is just plain retarded. I seriously hate when couples call each other pet names, especially ridiculous ones that sound like they'd be better suited for a Care Bear.

Examples: Angel Face, Sugar Pants, Rainbow Bunny, Candy Cake, Fluffy Bear

When you use pet names like these, people assume you’re either insanely stupid or just insane.

BJA said...

I forgot another one that drove me crazy. In Louisiana, Cajuns say "cha" which is an adulteration of the word "cher" from French.

I dated a guy (who will probably never end up on loserex cuz he's not stupid, retarded, or a jerk) who called me this all the time. Bugged the crap out of me but when I brought it up, he stopped. :)