Friday, March 16, 2007

You're calling too late

The douche-baggery of the men in Washington never fails to amaze me. I had a rather close encounter with it in a phone call yesterday afternoon. Annoyed, I decided that I was going to be an even bigger douche back.

work line rings, a local number I don't recognize shows up on the call ID

Me: *insert name here*
Some guy: Hi, this is Chris, we met at the bar last Tuesday
Me: Oh, hi. How have you been?
Some guy: Great, look, hey, I was calling to see if you wanted to go out for drinks at *some probably lame-ass bar I've never heard of and have already forgotten the name of* tomorrow after work. It's right near your office.
Me: Wait, do you mean "last Tuesday" as in two days ago or as in nine days ago?
Some guy: It was last week, so I guess that's nine.
Me: And you're calling me now...
Some guy: Yeah, sorry I've been really busy

I don't even go into the "you're not too busy to make a 5 minute call" speech. I don't even go into the "If you're so busy, why don't you try planning in advance rather than asking me out the day before" deal. I don't even want to put up with this crap.

Me: I'm going to be honest with you, Chris. I really don't go out with people who don't show some enthusiasm about seeing me. I am getting the impression that your original plans canceled on you. I am not going to be your fall-back. I've got to get back to work now. It was nice hearing from you.

I hang up.

There's no doubt in my mind that this was a bitchy move on my part. But, really, if a guy can't make the call within a week (and even that is probably too long), then he really isn't worth my time. Think of getting my card as getting an offer to take me out. Just bear in mind that this offer expires after seven days.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

You should write the expiration date on the back of your card when you give it out. That would be hilarious.

RGB said...

I was actually thinking that right after I published this.